The New Beacon Bible Commentary is an engaging, indispensable reference tool to aid individuals in every walk of life in the study and meditation of God's Word. Written from the Wesleyan theological perspective, it offers insight and perceptive scholarship to help you unlock the deeper truths of Scripture and garner an awareness of the history, culture, and context attributed to each book of study. Readable, relevant, and academically thorough, it offers scholars, pastors, and laity a new standard for understanding and interpreting the Bible in the 21st century.
Each volume features:
- Completely New Scholarship from notable experts in the Wesleyan tradition
- Convenient Introductory Material for each book of the Bible including information on authorship, date, history, audience, sociological/cultural issues, purpose, literary features, theological themes, hermeneutical issues, and more
- Clear Verse-by-Verse Explanations, which offer a contemporary, Wesleyan-based understanding derived from the passage's original language
- Comprehensive Annotation divided into three sections, which cover background elements behind the text; verse-by-verse details and meanings found in the text; and significance, relevance, intertextuality, and application from the text
- Helpful Sidebars, which provide deeper insight into theological issues, word meanings, archeological connections, historical relevance, cultural customs, and more
- Expanded Bibliography for further study of historical elements, additional interpretations, and theological themes
The book of Judges fires the imagination and chills the soul. Great victories over the strong were won by the weak. The book records not only the triumphs of war but also the depths of human depravity. This is a conflicted story of Israel's spiritual and social disintegration as the people struggled for survival while turning from God
Visit TheNewBBC.com to become an NBBC member (membership is free!) and begin getting 30% off all commentary purchases.